Culturing, Isolation and Identification Services
Commission NCMA to isolate new strains for proprietary use by your company. We have in-house experience for isolating and characterizing new strains from either i) samples sent to NCMA from locations of your choice, or ii) samples collected by NCMA staff from a range of locations. Please contact us with details on the isolation project and we will provide you with an estimate based on time and meterials. A NDA can be executed by both parties prior to detailed discussions if requested by the customer. Please fill out the contact form below to inquire about this service.
There are several different levels of identification service as outlined below, and is geared to what the customer needs.
- Basic microscopic analysis to get a provisional morphological ID (this is easier for the larger microalgae). COST $175/strain
- For MIXED cultures, we can conduct a basic microscopic analysis and determine relative proportions of obvious different species in the culture. COST $225/strain
- A firmer ID can be obtained from 18S rRNA gene analysis (COST $750/strain), but we would typically recommend a 3-gene screen (18S rRNA; ITS and COX or 28S), this will give an ID to species level with high confidence - taxonomists prefer this level of confidence. COST $1500/strain.
- For MIXED cultures there are different options for molecular analysis:
- 18S rRNA PCR; TA-cloning; sequence analysis of 96 clones COST $2,500/culture
- Grow cells from a culture on plate (assuming they can grow on a plate); pick individual colonies; 18S rRNA gene analysis of different colonies. COST $500/colony (minimum 10 colonies).
- Flow cytometry sorting of individual cultures; downstream 18S rRNA gene analysis of sorted cells. Cost $3000/culture
- We can probably develop a diagnostic service for you based on a technique called Terminal Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism (T-RFLP); we did this for a customer last year. It would involve some basic characterization of the strains you have, then we would essentially have a diagnostic test for your cultures. High set up cost (approx. $5000) then relatively cheap quantitative analysis ($500/sample).
Please fill out the contact form below to inquire about this service.
Do you need milligrams to grams or more of algal biomass? Do you need larger volumes than a starter culture to do your science? NCMA can help you in your research. If you need living cells, NCMA can grow (and ship) up to a 1L living culture for your research. This service, and the 20L harvested mass culture can be ordered directly online from the strain product page. If you need even more material, NCMA has the systems in place to grow up to several 400L cultures under ambient environmental conditions that we can concentrate via continuous centrifuge. Please fill out the contact us form below to inquire about costs associated with hiring the NCMA to scale up to these larger volumes.
Culture Clean Up
Commission the NCMA to clean up algal cultures contaminated with either: non-algal protists; other algae; bacteria; fungi (prices will vary based on time spent and materials used). Plating, dilution and/or antibiotic techniques are charged at $175/hour plus materials. Flow cytometry sorting techniques, and subsequent culturing, start at $800/culture plus materials. Please fill out the contact form below to inquire about this service.
Contact us about these services
Leave us a message, and we will reply as soon as possible.